Monday, September 7, 2009

You've got to start somewhere

You've got to start somewhere, or more accurately, I've got to start somewhere. In the same way that you get fit enough to ride long miles by riding long miles, you turn writing from a blood-sweating chore into a routine occurance by stretching the writing muscles, opening up the metaphor glands, and flushing the lactic acid out of the logic system. So I'm writing for an hour every day. Most of it won't be literary gems. In fact, to say that any of them will be gems is a statement of sheerest optimism.

The Venn diagram that describes my life consists of circles whose only point of commonality is, in fact, myself. Disparate as they are, I'm guessing that nobody who is interested in one will want to know about the others. Thus is born Riding Rabbit, the blog. And as Friends of the Rabbit, you won't be subjected to unwanted information about my largely fallow sex life (unless a yeast infection keeps me from riding), my weird and annoying social circle (unless they are riding with me or preventing me from doing so), or issues of home renovation (excepting the new bicycle room I need to put onto the Shabby Shack). These all have seperate blogs, all on different hosting sites, and under different user names. Thus I can have the sort of wide-open frankness that airs out your soul, without running into the Facebook phenomenon that results in everyone knowing all your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment